From its location on the Perquimans River, the Newbold-White House, a Colonial Quaker homestead, tells the story of the Abraham and Judith Sanders family. Dating to 1730, the house is the oldest house in the state open to the public and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
The house is authentically restored and features period furnishings, fireplaces, and a winding corner staircase.
English settlers occupied Perquimans County shortly after North Carolina became a colony in 1663. The first owner of the property, Joseph Scott, may have come to North Carolina in the first wave of European settlement after the issuance of the 1663 Carolina proprietary charter. Of his origins nothing is known, but it is likely he was of English descent. He acquired land on the Perquimans River, apparently patenting 640 acres south of the river in 1663. Abraham Sanders purchased the property in 1726, then known as The Vineyard. He built a brick house in 1730 on the Perquimans River that still stands today. The Sanders riverside plantation was a diverse agricultural operation that included corn, cotton, wheat, flax, indigo, tobacco, and rice. Sanders also produced wood products such as barrels and shingles or shakes for roofs. His Quaker beliefs limited involvement in politics, but he was active in matters of the Perquimans Meeting of the Society of Friends.